The Paddle with the Platypus experience operates every evening from October to April offering guests the opportunity to spend a few twilight hours slowing down and spotting platypus from the seat of a kayak while learning about their very secretive lives from a local guide. This kayak adventure offers visitors to the area the best chance of viewing a platypus WILD and thriving in their own natural habitat.
Passing through popular natural platypus feeding pools, assisted by soft gentle currents of the River Derwent flowing from Gretna to Bushy Park, guests pause en route to enjoy a locally prepared tasting platter showcasing award-wining and often hand-picked fresh produce.
This is the perfect adventure for first time paddlers, families and platypus enthusiasts looking for a VIP backstage pass to the Derwent Valley region.
Location: Bushy Park, TAS
Product code: TWILIGHT
- 3 hour fully guided tour of the breathtaking Upper Derwent River.
- Safety demonstration and local guides.
- All premium kayak and safety equipment.
- 1.5 hour paddle following the gentle flow of the river.
- Local Tassie platter of Derwent Valley Produce prepared by our chef.
- Platypus spotting (although we provide the best possible opportunities we cannot guarantee platypus sightings on every tour). We have been running platypus tours for three years and have a sighting success rate of 95%.
- Transfers back to vehicle at the completion of tour.
- Pick up from Hawthorn Lodge at Bushy Park.
- Complimentary photos provided at completion of tour.
Approximately 3 hours from pick up to drop off.