The River Derwent Rapid kayaking tour is a multi award-winning adventure experience located within an hour’s drive from Hobart’s CBD. This half-day adventure can be best described as receiving a VIP backstage pass to our local region; combining breathtaking Tasmanian scenery, local guides, world-class produce with a little excitement!
Commencing at the historic Hawthorn Lodge in Bushy Park the trip begins with a short scenic drive through the Upper Derwent Valley, offering views of Mount Field National Park, surrounding lush farmlands and iconic hop fields.
Paddle downstream on the mighty River Derwent, take in sweeping views of the iconic Wellington Range, pass under historic railway bridges and perhaps even see a platypus, an active sea eagle breeding area or some acrobatic trout before stopping for a fresh gourmet riverside lunch by a local waterfall.
This half day adventure has it all; a relaxing start to build confidence, epic lunch spot, supportive & informative local guides and finishes with a few Grade 2 rapids which will get your adrenaline running.
No kayaking experience is required to participate and trip suitable for beginners, couples, small groups and families. Trip includes morning tea and lunch prepared by a fully qualified chef, picked full of world-famous Tasmanian seasonal produce.
Children 7 & up (who are confident swimmers) are very welcome. All guests are provided with their own kayak, however a tandem is also available for children and not so confident guests.
Please note all participants must be able to swim to participate.
Product code: RAPID
- Transfers from Hawthorn Lodge in Bushy Park.
- 1/2 introductory briefing and safety demonstration.
- 3 hour paddle tour down the River Derwent following the river flow.
- Fully catered lunch made from fresh and in season local produce.
- Photos of the day provided and transfer back to local drop off points.
- Wets suits available for rent for a small charge
- Premium kayaking safety equipment and spray jackets provided.
- Coach transfers can be arranged on request from Hobart.
Approximately 4.5 hours from pick up to drop off. Around 3 hours paddle time.