The Paddle with the Platypus experience operates every evening from October to April and additional morning paddles departing November to March. This adventure offers guests the opportunity to spend a few hours slowing down and spotting platypus from the seat of a kayak while learning about their very secretive lives from a local guide. This kayak adventure offers visitors to the area the best chance of viewing a platypus WILD and thriving in their own natural habitat.
Passing through popular natural platypus feeding pools, assisted by soft gentle currents of the River Derwent from Gretna to Bushy Park, guests pause en route to enjoy a locally prepared tasting platter showcasing award-wining and often hand-picked fresh produce in the evenings or a freshly baked morning tea if joining for the morning departure.
This is the perfect adventure for first time paddlers, families and platypus enthusiasts looking for a VIP backstage pass to the Derwent Valley region.
Evening departures every day from October to April from 5pm to 8pm: or
Morning departures, Wednesday to Saturday from November to March from 8 am to 11 am.
Location: Bushy Park, TAS
Product code: TWILIGHT
- 2 hour fully guided kayak tour of the breathtaking Upper Derwent River.
- Safety demonstration and local guides.
- All premium kayak and safety equipment.
- Local Tassie platter of Derwent Valley Produce prepared by our chef on our evening departure OR a freshly baked morning tea on our morning departure.
- Platypus spotting (although we provide the best possible opportunities we cannot guarantee platypus sightings on every tour). We have been running platypus tours for three years and have a success rate of around 95%.
- Transfers back to vehicle at the completion of tour.
- Pick up from Hawthorn Lodge at Bushy Park.
- Complimentary photos provided at completion of tour.
Approximately 3 hours total.